Health is wealth. Especially if you are a college athlete. Mental health is also wealth. From the outside looking in, college athletes seem like the most happy, upbeat people. When they are interviewed they always have a big smile on their face and their personality really shines through. Although they seem happy in interviews and on their social media, everything is not what it seems.

According to Athletes for Hope, “up to 35% of elite athletes suffer from mental health problems.” Out of that percentage, many are afraid to seek help and speak out on it. When I was on the field hockey team my freshman year at IUP, I was required to take a health and wellness class with the other athletes there. One day in class, we had to watch a video on being a college athlete and mental health. It was about a football player at a division I school who was suffering from depression. He was saying he should not be depressed because he had a lot of things to be happy about. Overtime his depression got worse. He was not showing up to practice anymore and his grades were slipping. He finally realized he needed help so he got it.

A solution for college athletes who suffer from mental health problems is to please get help! Your mental health is so incredibly important! If you are feeling down or depressed tell your teammate, coach, or athletic trainer. You matter! I feel like another solution to this problem is to educate players, coaches, and other athletic staff on mental health. It is not talked about enough. Too many young people are taking their lives and it is saddening. Not only should sports psychologists be on division  I campuses, they should also be on division II and III campuses.

What do you guys think? Do you think that mental health should be taken more seriously when it comes to college athletes? Sound off in the comments below! Don’t forget to share this post and blog to your friends and family!