Disco!

This week in class we continued the 70’s. I know of lot of 70’s songs because my mom had bought me a 70’s collection when I was very young. I think I first saw it on TV and begged someone to buy it for me. It’s kind of funny since they always advertised kid’s collections such as Kidz Bop but I decided I liked the 70’s hits. Sometimes just out of nowhere I’ll start singing one of the songs on the albums and my mom will just laugh at me because she can’t believe I remember so many. I think a good amount of those song are fun/funny songs. Songs such as “Car Wash” by Rose Royce, “You Sexy Thing” by Hot Chocolate, “Play that Funky Music” by Wild Cherry, and “Macho Man” by the Village People. They’re dance songs! Disco! When you listen to these songs you can tell they are disco. It has a very distinct sound. Some people may think it’s kind of lame but I think it’s awesome that back then teens dressed up for dates and went out to a disco dance. It seems like it would be a fun thing to do once and a while. I thought it was interesting to see the examples of “Disco takes over everything”. I didn’t know that disco started in gay bars. Also I didn’t really know anything about the YMCA song. I had no idea what it meant. The class was definitely shocked and so was I! I’ve never heard of or seen the “Disco Sucks” controversy. Similar to the other student’s opinions, I think these people saw more and more people joining in and they thought…”I’m not going to get in trouble”, “everyone else is doing this”, “this could make the news or history”, “it’s time for new music”, or “this looks fun and I’ll just join just because!” They did seem kind of serious and felt very strongly about disco though. Just like with the smashing of instruments, when they were burning and blowing up the records, I was just thinking “Noo! You don’t need to do that! Just keep them, you don’t have to listen to them!”:) I did really like the comment about disco satisfying people’s dance needs and how rock music helps with emotional/relating needs. I think that is true. Disco was good for dance and just to have fun!