“Emo Rap”

As a fan of rap music, I can’t seem to figure out why a new fad of rap is getting so popular, and I also can’t pinpoint why I like it as well. I call this new style “emo rap”. Artists like Juice WRLD, XXXTentacion, Trippie Red, Paris rap about things like depression, suicide, and heartbreak. This breaks away from what most traditional rap is like. When I listen to it, I don’t necessarily connect with the lyrics but I can see why many people who struggle with these things can relate. The music style itself is a mix of new wave rap and R+B. I think the beat and rhythm come from mainstream rap but the lyrics are reminiscent R+B. It sounds like something that Drake would make in his early days, but much darker. The style of these rappers is different as well. This is something that I don’t enjoy as much. They look like clowns to be honest; bright colored hair, strange clothes, face tattoos, painted nails. It’s very weird and it seems like they’re all in competition to out do one and other of the clown scale. I suppose that every fan of a certain genre doesn’t understand new wave sound and styles. Maybe my resentment to this style is just me getting old. None the less, I still think it’s good music and its a cool new dynamic of rap.