May 27

Final Project: Omeka

I chose my Omeka project to revise for the final because I had a clear vision for taking it further, and the work plan was something I felt I could manage within the parameters of the online platform. (Although the creative focus of my Twine project really appealed to my poet’s sensibilities, I felt that it would probably take me the whole week just to come up with a realistic work plan to accomplish what I wanted. 🙂 )  My purpose in constructing the initial site, “Poetry by Women Before the Twentieth Century”, was to create a space for the comparative analysis of a body of premodern poems by women.  My initial site contained the text images of six poems, as well as portraits of their authors.  These items were organized into one, general exhibit.  In revising, my primary focus was content and display.  To expand the content, I added six new items: 3 new poems, and their accompanying author portraits.  I also created three collections to organize all the text images according to centuries.  However, I found that the exhibits were a more user-friendly way to both organize and display items, so I didn’t make any other collections.  It’s possible that the collection option will become more useful as I build a larger catalog of items. Because the poems already on the site were by English and American writers, I wanted to branch out geographically.  One thing I discovered was that it was difficult to track down early or original texts of premodern poems by non-western women writers.  For example, I really wanted to include Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, but I couldn’t find any early text images of any of her poetry.  One thing I’ll consider if I expand this project further is tracking down and scanning hard-copy texts so that I can feature a wider variety of authors.  Additionally, although some trends are cropping up within the current body of authors, more content will be needed to accurately represent poems by women writers during this time period.  That being said, I was able to incorporate writers from two additional countries, Ireland and Vietnam.   Once I’d added new content to the site, my next task was organizing the content in ways that would allow readers to make connections and observe differences.  Because I created a catalog of tags as I revised my items list, I also carried the tagging over into the organizational process.  I created five different exhibits within two categories.  The first category is time frame, and includes three exhibits named by century, allowing poems to be classified by date of production.  This may encourage site users to look for similarities within a single century, or to consider the relationships between poems from different time frames.  The second category is geographical location.  Because so many of the poems included were produced by writers from Europe, this category includes one exhibit of European writers, and one exhibit of non-European writers.  My intent is for this categorization to encourage users to explore this breakdown further.  Of course, the number of poems in each category will change as more poets are added to the site.  However, it may be worthwhile to consider how things like social development and global power structures play a role not only in who was writing during this time period, but also in which of these poems are most pervasive today.  That just about summarize my revision process, so here’s the new site:  Post-Sappho and Pre-Plath: Postmodern Poems by Women 

Posted May 27, 2015 by Cara Chanoine in category ENGL757857-Su2015