Mikayla Vangelo, Tuba

Mikayla Vangelo, Tuba

Music Education and Religious Studies Major

Q: In your experience, what are the most important traits that employers look for in professional artists?

A: “Employers look for traits in professional performers like accountability, commitment, reliability, and personability. I believe that these traits are important because it all boils down to the person you are and how that shows in your professional career as a performer. Employers may also look for things like performers who are dedicated and passionate about the work they are being asked to do for their employer. The performer has to be all in, they have to be interested and committed to task at hand. “

Q: What can artistic management and administration do better to help support young artists?

A: “Artistic management and administration can help support young artists by giving them more opportunities to further themselves and excel in their art field. These higher ups can support these young artists by not only giving them opportunities, but also encouraging them and providing a positive environment for them to flourish. I believe that these administrators or managers can also advocate and publisize their accomplishments and skills.”

Q: If you could go back in time and give advice to your younger-self what is one thing you would say?

A: “If I could go back in time and give my younger self advice, I would tell myself don’t do the things that waste your time. Don’t take anything for granted, but monitor and manage your time wisely to do what matters and don’t waste your time on the lesser evils.”