YMCA of Indiana County is leading the way in fitness, aquatics, and sports. Our facilities are located at 60 N. Ben Franklin Rd., Indiana, PA. We are constantly evaluating and developing new or improved ways of doing what we do best. We recognize that we have an essential place in Indiana county and are looking for employees and volunteers to help us deliver to the needs of the county. The YMCA is a non-profit, charitable organization that was established in Indiana County in 1911. We have a wonderful facility including adapted programming, gymnasium, swimming pool, fitness centers, and outdoor athletic areas to meet the needs of our members and the community. We are a membership-driven organization with over 6,000 members that offers financial assistance to those that cannot afford to pay the full membership.
We are currently recruiting interns for our department of marketing, health & wellness, adult sports, youth sports, adapted programming, and special events. The interns will work under the supervision of one of our program directors with specific objectives and outcomes. The interns will aid in the preparation of upcoming events, leagues, and activities as well as assist in delivering programs and classes. All interns will be expected to keep a journal of activities and work performed. Bi-weekly or monthly review meetings will aid the intern in developing skills and competence. An event book will be developed at the completion of the internship to demonstrate what was completed and learned. The book will also indicate what is still to be done since our programs overlap semesters. In some cases, interns work will be needed to pass on to the next intern so that programming is completed without interruption.
A qualified intern should be in their junior or senior year in either. The applicants must pass an interview and background checks as well as be available during the hours needed for the program area of interest. Applicants should have a strong desire to work with others, good communication skills, able to work in a team and complete assigned tasks independently. If selected, you have the opportunity to work with many wonderful professionals and community members. It is our intent to develop the opportunity that best fits the experience you wish to have.
Schedule & Duration
Approximately 20 hours per week, flexible schedule, should include some weekend and evening hours. As needed, typically 15-25 hours per week in a semester. Another arrangement may be available including summer and short-term internship of up to 40 hours per week.
Unpaid Internship, YMCA membership benefit for the duration of internship available.
For more information, contact Shawn Sebring (724)-463-9622or email resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specific Internships Available
- Communication Media-throughout the summer this position would help to develop visual media for use throughout the remainder of the year for programs and services of the YMCA of Indiana County. May include photography, video, print or web layout etc. Specifics based on applicants ability and desires.
- Journalism–a summer internship to develop articles, news releases, and personal interest stories for various uses by the YMCA during the year. Programs, personal success stories, community impact and possibly some interviews would be a part of the expectations.
- Summer Youth Wellness Program Specialist(Exercise Science, Physical Education)-seasonal position to help with organizing, implementing and recording results of an 11 week wellness program to limit the impact of obesity on children. Key concepts of the program are nutrition, physical fitness, lifelong habits and doing your personal best are.
Available any quarter:
- Health & Wellness –
- Program Specialist (Exercise Science, Physical Education): may work with director and staff in planning, coordinating and implementing programs such as Y’s Loser and YMCA Family Fit. Additionally will help with general fitness improvement of our members.
- Older Adult Specialist (Sports Management or Exercise Science): may work with the older adult population to improve involvement with exercise as well as plan social/educational events for the participants.
- Nutrition and Dietetics – year-round opportunity to work with our wellness staff to provide education to young athletes to older adults, for weight management to athletic performance.
- Youth SportsSpecialist (Sports Management, Physical Education) -year-round availability, may work with the coordinator to manage volunteers, staff, and officials as well as facilities for youth sports and leagues.
- Special EventsSpecialist (Sports Management)-Winter and spring position; may work with coordinator and directors to manage volunteers, staff, and officials as well as facilities for upcoming special events. Additionally will help prepare equipment and perform evaluations of current programs. This person will need to have good office skills,as phone, computer and people skills will be highly used.
- Aquatic Programs Specialist (Sports Management, Physical Education)-may work with director and staff in planning, coordinating and implementing programs such as swim lessons, group exercise, and facility management.
YMCA of Indiana County
60 N. Ben Franklin Rd., Indiana, PA 15701