A guide to wearable mindfulness technology

I’ve talked about apps that can be downloaded to your phone which can promote mindfulness.  These apps are great! I use plenty of them myself!  However, sometimes using our phones too much can get in the way of being mindful.  What do we do if we want to practice mindfulness and use our phones less?

I’ve discovered a solution: Wearable mindfulness gear.  These gadgets serve a variety of purposes, but all allow you to be more mindful.  Many of these devices sync to your phone, but you don’t necessarily have to be using your phone to reap the benefits.  Even if it does have you use your phones, the time spent on your phone is minimal.

Now the question is, which gadget do you get?  I’ve checked out a few of the top gadgets, and I’m going to lay out some of the features and benefits of each!  I don’t actually own any of these gadgets, but a couple of them are certainly at the top of my wish list.

Spire

Spire is advertised as a breath and activity tracker, and the combination of these two things really allow you to be mindful.  The device can be conveniently hooked either on your bra or on your waist.  The sensor on the device monitors the expansion and contraction in your body when you breath.  Then, according to the product’s site, this data is used to tell what state your body is in.  In it’s simplest form, they have three different classifications of breathing: Calm, Tense, and Focused.  This information will all be recorded on your phone for you to view whenever it is convenient.  The great thing about all of this data is that it is personalized.  Obviously not everyone has exactly the same resting rate of breathing, so this device takes all the guesswork out of these calculations.  The app tracks your breath. activity, steps, and calories for the day.  It is also equipped with a variety of guided meditations to use when you’re tense.  The app is also compatible with your smart watch which makes it even more convenient.

Bellabeat Leaf

The Leaf is described as a health tracker, but I think this tracker has the widest variety of uses.  Similar to the spire it can either be clipped to your clothes or worn as a bracelet or necklace.  It monitors your sleep, activity, meditation, stress levels, and your period.  So basically it is your all in one tracker.  It also has a variety of alarms and settings to help you be more mindful throughout the day.  You can also set goals for each of these categories, which can really get you motivated if you’re a beginner.  Not to mention it has a variety of designs to fit your style and needs.  Overall this device really allows you to be mindful through multiple aspects of your life.

Lumo Lift

While the Lumo lift is actually a posture coach, I’d say it can certainly help in your mindfulness journey.  The device sticks to your skin, and you calibrate it while being in the straightest posture possible.  Once it has a baseline of what your perfect posture is, then it will vibrate whenever you slouch.  Not only does this correct a bad habit that many of us are guilty of, it gives us a chance to be mindful.  Whenever it vibrates, look at it as taking a moment to be mindful.  Once you correct your posture, you can take notice of how your body is feeling in the moment and take a few mindful breaths.  Doing simple check-ins like this can really improve your day.  It also tracks your steps, so it doubles as a fitness tracker!  While this is a much more simple way to be mindful, I think that is sometimes preferred, but I’ll be discussing simplicity, minimalism, and mindfulness at a later date.  All in all, this app is a simple but great choice.

These are the three mindfulness trackers that I am most familiar with, but there are plenty more available.  Each one has different qualities, but all serve the same purpose: to help you become a more mindful and better you.

I hope one of these trackers has piqued your interest! Have you used any sort of tracker before?  What do you think of the ones I’ve talked about today? Let me know in the comments!

Remember: Everyone starts as a beginner, if they can do it so can you!

Mindful Musings

A mental health journey through mindfulness.

Posted June 26, 2017 by Payton Markijohn in category Uncategorized