My summer internship is under the Public Relations/Community Relations department. Currently, the department is known as Development, but Lifesteps is working on changing the name to just Public Relations or Community Relations. I learned that the Public or Community Relations is the only department at Lifesteps that deals with making sure there is enough funding for the organization. One way the department does this is through fundraising. The theme for this month’s fundraising event is called “A Vintage Affair.” This event is advertised to mostly women and children. During this event, tea is served, there are fun activities, and attendees have a chance to win a basket full of gifts.

A Vintage Affair is due to take place on Sunday, May 19th. As a new intern, I joined the department after the preparations like planning and marketing for the event had already taken place. However, I got the chance to wrap up the baskets with gifts and make labels for the raffle tickets. I worked with Jenna, a new hire for the department, to wrap the baskets. Wrapping baskets sounds like a simple task for two people but it requires both parties to communicate at all times. This kind of teamwork is essential to make a big event a success.

My hours today were from 9 AM to 2:30 PM. Today, Alyson Deluca (formerly known as Alyson Smith) supervised me since my internship supervisor Cassandra Kokoski had meetings all day. For tomorrow, I need to brainstorm other fun activities that could be added to the event.

Spent around 20 minutes on this blog